Southeast Asia Editor at China Dialogue (Part-time)
Location: Southeast Asia (flexible location)
Position: Regional Editor x 2
Hours: 8 Hours per week
Contract type: Fixed term (to 30th Jan 2021)
Salary: £30,000 FTE (pro rata)
Start time: ASAP
Application deadline: ASAP
China Dialogue seeks two Southeast Asia regional editors to join its team, working remotely with one another and with our London and Beijing offices. The ideal candidate would have a keen interest in climate change and environmental issues, China and international affairs. They would be proactive, highly organised and self-motivated, with relevant professional experience – in journalism, research or policy – with excellent English writing, editing and verbal communications skills, an aptitude for digital technologies and a high level of accuracy and attention to detail in their work.
China Dialogue disseminates high-quality information and promotes communication on environment and climate change in both Chinese and English. We provide a space for open discussion, with the aim of informing and educating international and Chinese readers, and contributing to building equitable and constructive solutions to global environmental problems.
China Dialogue researches, writes, commissions, edits and publishes bilingual high-quality content that includes articles, reports, policy briefs, essays, and book reviews on the environment and climate change.
This position would be working on our Southeast Asia project, and will focus on commissioning content that covers China’s growing investments and influence in Southeast Asia, and risks associated with trade, extraction and exploitation of the region’s natural resources and fisheries.
China Dialogue also works closely with its network of sister websites – China Dialogue Ocean, The Third Pole, and Diálogo Chino – cross-publishing relevant material in order to better serve our readerships. In the coming years, we plan to deepen these relationships, drawing on the resources we have established over the past decade to generate new synergies in content, from grassroots reporting to high-level analysis in a truly global dialogue.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to form a key part of China Dialogue's Southeast Asia work and join its growing global editorial team.
- Excellent English writing and editing skills;
- Significant experience working as a journalist or in a communications role for an NGO;
- Strong networks among journalists, NGOs and policymakers in the region;
- Proven interest in and knowledge of environment and climate-change issues;
- Experience in web publishing, social media and/or digital tools;
- Strong project management and problem-solving skills;
- Flexibility and ability to multi-task, verbal and cross-cultural communications skills;
- Ability to work independently.
- Interest in or knowledge of China and international affairs;
- Regional language skills (e.g. Thai, Khmer, Vietnamese or Bahasa Indonesian).
- Writing, researching and commissioning content about China’s impacts in Southeast Asia;
- Liaising with China Dialogue editorial teams and production manager.
Communications and Marketing
- Developing syndication and content sharing relationships with regional and vernacular media;
- Promoting content via social media and other publishing platforms.
- Liaising with contacts and partners to build a regional network of contributors and a dedicated readership.
How to apply
Please send a CV with references, covering letter and 2-3 examples of recent, relevant work or clippings to: [email protected]
Applications should be submitted in English.